Tuesday 7 August 2012

Educated Risk

   
Educated Risk or Life Long Remorse – published 7th August 2012
Last week, driving home, I stopped at the Post Office intersection, the traffic light turned green for me.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw movement   (or was it my guardian angel tapping on my shoulder?). I turned to look, just in time, to see a bakkie coming towards me, with obviously no intention to stop.  He drove straight through what was a red light for him. The collision would not have been my fault – yet the injury severe or even fatal. What if  - What if – What if? We can all be slightly distracted while driving, especially with children in the car –  even if you are the worlds’ most careful driver?
 S P E E D!!!  CELL PHONES!!! ARE YOUR CHILDREN WEARING SEAT BELTS????
 Google:  “crash test children”
Ermelo must rate RIGHT UP THERE with lawless Drivers of South Africa and the main culprit is SPEED and CELL PHONES.
We have just spent a month in Sweden (yes, I am married to the Viking who came riding over the hill….). It always takes a few weeks for me to come to terms with the FEAR of driving in this country. It is in my humble opinion, that it’s not the lack of education or economy – it is a simple matter of ENFORCEMENT. South Africans believe the law applies to OTHER people – THEM.  Swedes know that there is simply no point in speeding, drinking and driving, and they stop at a STOP sign – violation of that seemingly silly law can cost your license. It is after all a STOP sign and not a YIELD.  Some hurried and impatient drivers I meet on the way to school, barely slow down, in fact I worry that I am going to get rear ended because I stop! Yielding seems to be the order of the day – since you can see there is no car coming anyway…..
This is one of a number of lawlessness aspects of South Africa requiring me to return to my balance sheet pinned to my VISION board in the office.
REASONS  I  STAY IN SOUTH AFRICA!  1.  Blue Sky    2.   Sun shine     3. Family   4.  African Blood in my Veins  5. Lifestyle and many many more reasons…….                              – allow me to digress.….. In Sweden they have these little automated lawnmowers in every second garden, the size of our vacuum cleaners. This machine runs around the garden cutting the lawn, day and night, rain or shine.  It has an under-cover charger – which it returns to when the battery runs low.  It is SO common that you have road signs everywhere, warning motorists of possible escaped lawnmowers roaming the streets.  Anyway – I think I prefer Jabu – he is a faithful soul, always smiles and he chops firewood and prunes the roses. My father-in-law (zero English) even sent greetings to Jabu on our departure…..Yes, we are here to stay! The lawless driving concerns me very much - I fear mostly for the children.  Adults seem to wear safety belts and have airbags to protect on impact – WHAT IS PROTECTING YOUR CHILDREN?????? Educated people driving fancy cars with up to three of their precious children not strapped in!  I beg you – think about what risk you are taking. Even driving two blocks – all it takes is one speeding driver who misses that red light!!
Personally I have had two near death experiences – one by a Sand Truck coming at me at high speed with the drivers attention on his phone, looking up in the nick of time – I wobbled for the rest of the day, and spent a few days contemplating how it would be for my eight year old daughter to grow up without her mom.  Another incident, a big expensive vehicle drove straight through a stop street, missing me narrowly.
ARE YOUR CHILDREN WEARING SEAT BELTS????????
Unfortunately the Human race does not comply with the LAW because it is the right thing to do.  I have also experienced the law abiding Australian culture – “WHY” you ask, do some cultures abide by the law?  Because the consequences are serious – and they are ENFORCED!  For some reason we seem to think that the rules apply to others because I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING? Sound familiar?????? OR…… “THEY” all do it – so why shouldn’t I?
Today I APPEAL to all of you that have the privilege of transporting children.  Please, PLEASE – if for no other reason, imagine the remorse and the pain and the guilt if your children or God forbid your friends’ children are in your car without safety belts in a collision. Do not let this become a LIFE REGRET.
This is NOT about your driving skills or how careful you are – this is about the other person skipping a stop street or a red traffic light and colliding with you and your children. It is called and ACCIDENT – it does not need to be your fault.  NOBODY is EXEMPT – it does not matter how educated or rich you are OR NOT – the percentages in this country are one of the highest in the world.  YOU CAN NOT IGNORE IT! 
The links below are proof of what happens to children in a car at 30mph –  now I ask you – how many people drive within speed limits?  The car that nearly collided with you – was that at 30mph????? THIRTY MILES PER HOUR – that is about 50 km per hour – BELOW speed limit.
By the GRACE of GOD THERE GO I   -  
I bought a wood carving in Sweden that says:  “Don’t live faster than what your Guardian Angel can fly”
LIFE IS GOD’S GIFT TO YOU – how you CHOOSE to Live it is your GIFT TO GOD
Karin Engman        Loss & Trauma Councelling          
Bioscience Centre   Ermelo     072 1896951


No comments:

Post a Comment