Monday 25 February 2013

Transforming the Bitterness of the past

Transforming the Bitterness of the past            26 February 2013
(Unedited version)
My beautiful daughter, turning only 9 this year, asked me to tell her what it was like when I was her age.  I thank God everyday that she is so happy to go to school.  She includes her teacher and her friends in her gratitude prayer everyday!   My heart broke into a thousand pieces as I remembered that I was only one year older when my world, as I knew it, came crashing down.  Looking in from the outside I probably had a perfect life.  There was no money shortage ( at least in my grasp of things), my parents did not fight, I had many animal friends etc.  Primary school  was a complete nightmare for me and probably for most of the children attending this specific school.  In those days physical beatings occurred every day.  One boy, academically perhaps not the brightest, received brutal beatings almost daily.  The poor child was a blubbering mess to the extent that at times he wet himself.  I know my older brother (may he rest in peace) often spoke about the beatings he received.  He said that this cruel headmaster broke his spirit. I know he shattered mine…
Perhaps you did not receive beatings at school, perhaps you were bullied, perhaps you were neglected, or one of so many possibilities.  The experience of not being treated in the rightful, respectful and humane way, is certainly cause for bitterness.  Bitterness is represented in the Aura Soma Colour Care System by the colour OLIVE.  As the fresh green olive fruit taste very bitter – with time and submerged in olive oil and brine – this seemingly bitter fruit can be transformed into a delicacy. 
To go on a Journey (a form of therapy) and visit the past, bringing with you the perspective of what you know now, can be a truly healing and liberating experience.  When we realize that bitterness of the wrongs committed against us, surely only continues to bring us pain.  The perpetrator/s probably has no real grasp of the damage they have caused.  Hence the process of forgiveness is not condoning the behaviour but laying it down before God and letting it go! 
Olive brings the gift of:  “Letting go of the past bringing changes of perspective so that I may communicate through a loving and truthful heart”. Transforming the bitterness of the past into the sweetness of Spirit and bringing the gift of Hope and Peace.
Legend has it that when you are ready to let go of the Bitterness  – the Blue Heron will drop a feather on your path.  Blue represents PEACE .   Once we have forgiven we can make space for peace to fill our inner being.  With peace in our hearts, we can find that place of stillness/prayer, it is here that we are able to connect to God and also to our true self.
The challenge lies in developing self-reflective skills so that we no longer have the cloudy view of self-pity and poor self-worth , and instead take responsibility for what is happening in our life. Without this we miss all the wonderful opportunities life presents us.  Have courage to change/let go of that which no longer serves your best interest.  Appreciate the valuable lessons from past, but allow yourself to move forward and make space for new experiences.
May you find the Feather of the Blue Heron on your path and live in peace and harmony.
 Karin Engman     Motivational speaker            Life Coach      072 1896951
thehummingbird@vodamail.co.za      www.karin-engman.blogspot.com    

No comments:

Post a Comment