Tuesday 29 May 2012

Extra-Ordinary

 EXTRA-ORDINARY
Even though it was a lifetime ago, I remember my first year in high school so very well. I grew up on the countryside and only started wearing school shoes in grade 7, in preparation for high school.  I went from being a day scholar for seven years, to being a border.  Going home once every 6 weeks, was a huge adjustment. Emotionally I was still a child and had to toughen up fast. I was not comfortable with the teaching language, and faced daily ridicule from the city kids. I definitely did not qualify for the ‘cool’ group.  I was literally thrown into the deep end. Instead of sinking, I kept my head above water and eventually learnt to swim.
Looking back, I remember feeling so ordinary and longing to be accepted.  It was only in later years when I eventually learnt, that there is no such thing as an ordinary person. Regardless where you come from or what your circumstances are, it’s a matter of belief.
I recently watched the US Masters and like many of you, I would have liked our homeboy Louis Oosthuizen to win. Instead, Bubba got in a magnificent saving shot and took the trophy. With no formal training or qualifications, and a name like Bubba, he now ranks among the world’s best golfers.  What an inspiration!
Some might think it is impossible to change the future – but in reality the future is only what you make it. Life always comes with a choice. We all have a special purpose.  We do not need to be a hero, or a Mother Theresa. We can all contribute towards humanity, each in our own small way. 
A wise person wrote: “ Lasting happiness comes from the size of our impact not the size of our income – Real fulfilment is a product of the value we create and the contribution we make.           Self-worth is much more important than net worth”
Be significant, make your life matter.  Here lies the difference between feeling ordinary to being EXTRAORDINARY.    
As the saying goes: “It is not the breath we breathe that counts, but every moment that takes our breath away”
Advert  “The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little EXTRA”                              Karin Engman Life Coach   Bioscience Centre   Ermelo                 017 8111136

No comments:

Post a Comment